When you’re looking for a budget friendly and compact alternative to a glass or plastic greenhouse, a portable greenhouse kit might be exactly what you need! In general there are 2 types of portable greenhouses: either you go for a mini greenhouse, usually made out of glass or polycarbonate or you choose a plastic cover greenhouse. The plastic cover greenhouses are usually bigger and can be used to store more plants and vegetables, whereas the mini greenhouse can be used on a balcony or even indoors to grow one or two plants.
To be able to start growing your own vegetables, herbs, flowers and plants, you don’t need a big budget or a big yard. You can start small and expand as you get into it!
Advantages of portable greenhouse kits
- You can easily move your greenhouse. Whether you’re currently living in a rental place and don’t know where you’ll be living in a year or you just want to have the liberty to clear your yard, a portable greenhouse is the right fit for you.
- The price for a portable greenhouse is in general very reasonable. When you go for a glass or polycarbonate greenhouse you’re often looking at a sizeable investment. So why not start out with a portable one and see if you really like it and if it fits your lifestyle?
- The amount of sunshine in your yard might be very different in summer and winter. Where in summer you may want to protect your plants from the heath, in winter you will probably want to give them all the light you can. A portable greenhouse is easily moved around so your plants get the best possible exposure to sunlight, depending on the season
- Even though a portable greenhouse with a plastic cover is less steady than a glass or plastic one, it will still protect your plants from birds and bugs, all year long
- Most portable greenhouses, and especially the mini greenhouses, can also be used as an indoor greenhouse
- If you only use your greenhouse in winter or spring, it’s easy to store it during the rest of the year.
- You can find the perfect option for even the smallest patio, balcony, porch or yard. No need to miss out on the joys of homegrown herbs and vegetables because you don’t have a lot of room. Whether you choose a mini greenhouse or a greenhouse with plastic cover, there’s a perfect match for everyone!
- Some plants might not need a greenhouse their entire life, but it can help seeds and seedlings kickstart their growth if they are in a protected environment, safe from birds, bugs and certain weather conditions.
Disadvantages of portable greenhouse kits
- The main disadvantage for a portable greenhouse kit with plastic cover is that it’s not very weatherproof. When there’s a summer hail storm or winter snow fall, your greenhouse might not survive. Pay attention to the weather predictions and protect your greenhouse when needed.
- Portable greenhouses are usually small and you might soon find you don’t have enough room to grow all your favourite plants. Don’t worry about this one though, you can always expand gradually.
Best mini portable greenhouses
The first category of portable greenhouses are the mini greenhouses. They are usually made out of wood and glass/polycarbonate and make a beautiful addition to any house, balcony or patio. They are mainly used to grow herbs and spices. You can find some great designs that will brighten up your home. These greenhouses can usually be placed inside or outside and as long as the greenhouse receives enough light you can even move it around.
|IKEA white mini portable indoor/outdoor greenhouse
|Esschert Design W2002 portable victorian greenhouse
|AK Energy mini portable wooden greenhouse
Plastic cover portable greenhouse kits
|Gardman R687 4-Tier Mini Greenhouse, 27" x 18" x 63"
|Flower House FHSP300CL SpringHouse Greenhouse, Clear
|Home-Complete Mini Greenhouse-4-Tier Indoor Outdoor Sturdy Portable Shelves-Grow Plants, Seedlings, Herbs, or Flowers In Any Season-Gardening Rack
If you want to scale it up a little, you can check out our article on budget greenhouses.