When you’re trying to find out which greenhouse suits you and your needs, size is an important factor to take into account. As soon as you get into growing and start planting, you will be surprised how quickly you reach the limits of your greenhouse. It’s also a fact that the larger the greenhouse, the fewer the temperature fluctuates.
One of the options is to start with a budget greenhouse that can be expanded later on. Some greenhouses offer the opportunity to extend at the back. If you think this might be an option for you, make sure you keep enough room at the back of your greenhouse.
Average sizes for greenhouses
An average greenhouse size doesn’t really exist. It all depends on your taste, your backyard and your favorite crops. A hobby greenhouse starts at 6’x4′ and goes all the way up to 10’x20′. If we had to pick an average greenhouse size, we’d probably say 6’x8′ or 8’x10′. These measurements will offer any greenhouse enthusiast enough room to grow all kinds of plants and vegetables.
The next factor to consider is the height of the greenhouse. An average greenhouse is 7 ft high, so high enough to stand up and to grow most plants. A higher greenhouse can be convenient if you want to grow specific plants, but keep in mind that hot air rises. The higher your greenhouse, the more heat it needs.
The best size for your greenhouse?
When you enjoy planting and rooting in the soil, it’s nice to have some space to move around. If you have to spend hours on your knees, the joy might fade quickly and you might lose your motivation to grow homemade vegetables. When you’re planting seeds or small plants, take into account that (hopefully) they will grow and need more room than they do in the beginning. If you want to be able to reach the other side of your greenhouse without feeling like you’re in the jungle and needing an ax to advance, make sure you give your plants plenty of room to grow and evolve!
When you buy a big greenhouse, the price of your greenhouse will most likely be higher. Next to the initial cost, a larger greenhouse will also need more heating and watering. Not sure how much you want to spend on your greenhouse? Discover which type of greenhouse will suit your budget!
Greenhouse sizes can roughly be divided into three categories:
There’s no fixed benchmark on the size of a small greenhouse, but the most popular hobby greenhouse size is 6×8 ft. Even though we classify this as small, it still gives you plenty of space to move around. It will easily harbor a good amount of plants and vegetables in it. Given the popularity of these measurements, you will find many options to choose from. When this is still a little too big for you, 6’x’4 is also a good alternative.
When you have very limited space or no outside room, the perfect option for you can be either an indoor greenhouse or a mini greenhouse. It’s cute, fun and it will grow you one or two plants or some yummy fresh herbs and spices. Maybe this could be your first try with greenhouses? Maybe you want to know whether or not you really like it before investing in a large greenhouse for your yard.
Best 6×8 greenhouses
- YEAR-ROUND GARDENING: Our Outsunny polycarbonate outdoor greenhouse is the perfect way to stay in the soil all year round.
- POLYCARBONATE SHEETS: Walk in greenhouse polycarbonate sheets help keep your plants, vegetables, and flowers safe from inclement weather while allowing natural light to pass through.
- HEAVY-DUTY BASE AND FRAME: The green house is made of a powder-coated aluminum alloy frame that features a galvanized base that provides solid support to the entire greenhouses for outdoors.
- TWO PANEL TYPES PROVIDE ULTIMATE BALANCED GROWING CONDITIONS - Virtually unbreakable twin-wall polycarbonate roof panels protect from strong sunlight exposure while crystal-clear polycarbonate wall panels provide over 90% light transmission.
- STURDY THOUGHTFUL CONSTRUCTION WILL LAST A LIFETIME - Panels block harmful UV rays to protect plants from sun overexposure. The sturdy, oxidation resistant powder coated aluminum frame includes a galvanized steel base to add structural stability.
- STEP-BY-STEP DIY INSTRUCTIONS DESIGNED FOR HOMEOWNER INSTALLATION - Easy installation accomplished with sliding panels' assembly system. Galvanized steel base includes designated pre-drilled holes for anchoring (anchors not supplied) for additional stability. Single hinged door can be assembled as either right or left hand door to gardener's preferences.
- THOUGHTFUL ENGINEERING THAT OFFERS YEAR ROUND PROTECTION - Virtually unbreakable twin-wall 6mm polycarbonate panels provide over 70% light transmission with 100% protection from harmful UV rays.
- STURDY THOUGHTFUL CONSTRUCTION WILL LAST A LIFETIME - High impact polycarbonate panels, a frame made of powder coated galvanized steel and aluminum work together to create ideal growing conditions. Galvanized steel base with designated holes for anchoring (anchors not included) for additional structural stability.
- STEP-BY-STEP DIY INSTRUCTIONS DESIGNED FOR HOMEOWNER INSTALLATION - Easy installation using a sliding panel assembly system.
Best mini greenhouses
- EXTRA WIDE DESIGN: A large yet versatile 40in growing space traps humidity while circulating air - perfect for patios, balconies, and more!
- 2 ACCESS OPTIONS: Four zippers allow you to open the top or bottom of the cover while a set of touch fasteners keep the access open during your major gardening projects
- IDEAL GROWING ENVIRONMENT: A PE cover keeps your plants safe from the elements while maintaining a constant humidity that's ideal for growing and germinating seedlings
- This refurbished product is tested and certified to look and work like new. The refurbishing process includes functionality testing, basic cleaning, inspection, and repackaging. The product ships with all relevant accessories, and may arrive in a generic box
Best medium greenhouses
The standard medium greenhouse size is 8×12. Medium greenhouses will give you the opportunity to go semi-professional and grow a wide range of fruits, vegetables, and plants. It’s perfect if you have time to invest in your greenhouse and you’re willing to spend a little more. It will give you the freedom to start small and gradually expand (or dive in headfirst and go all the way from the start, of course)!
- Virtually unbreakable 4 mm thick twin-wall polycarbonate roof panels are 100% UV protected and high impact resistant
- Clear polycarbonate side panels offer classic style without the worry of glass
- Quick and easy assembly with a simple pin and lock connector system
- Heat activated ridge-line vent system, no electricity needed.
- hand made and stained
- shatter proof 8mm dual wall poly-carbonate
Best large greenhouses
If you want to do more serious greenhouse growing, a 10 ft wide greenhouse or larger is the choice for you. The main difference with a medium-sized greenhouse is usually the width that enables you to make maximum use of the entire space. The length can vary between 16 and 24 ft. The options on these greenhouses are very varied. Some offer, for example, an internal partition with a door so you have two separate growing areas. This gives you the opportunity to play around with temperatures and plant certain crops in the warmer area (such as tomatoes) and plant other vegetables in the cooler areas. Large greenhouses do require a certain budget and time investment. Not only will the maintenance be time consuming, you also need a large outdoor area to set it up.
- 4mm twin wall roof panels block up to 99.9% Of UV rays and clear virtually unbreakable polycarbonate panels providing over 90% light transmission
- Reinforced, double wall & rust resistance aluminum frame
- 95 sq. Feet growing space and of head room
- Brand New
- 180 gram transparent Polyethylene cover with reinforced mesh
- THOUGHTFUL ENGINEERING THAT OFFERS YEAR ROUND PROTECTION - Virtually unbreakable twin-wall 6mm polycarbonate panels provide privacy while diffusing over 80% of light.
- STURDY THOUGHTFUL CONSTRUCTION WILL LAST A LIFETIME - High impact polycarbonate panels, PVC resin frame, and rubber sealing stops work together to create ideal growing conditions.
- STEP-BY-STEP DIY INSTRUCTIONS DESIGNED FOR HOMEOWNER INSTALLATION - Easy installation accomplished with a push to fit assembly. No tools needed.
We hope we’ve helped you decide on the best greenhouse size for you! Not sure yet? Take a look at our greenhouse reviews, to see which model suits you best!