You may think you need a yard, balcony or patio to enjoy the pleasure of homegrown plants and vegetables? Think again! Thanks to indoor greenhouses, you can still grow plants, vegetables and flowers within the confines of your home or even bedroom.
Why an indoor greenhouse?
Indoor greenhouses offer you loads of benefits and you will find there’s a suitable option for everyone. Whether you’re going for a miniature greenhouse to start growing some herbs or you want a full blown model to grow vegetables and flowers, we’ll help you find exactly what you need!
The benefits of an indoor greenhouse:
- It’s easy to move. When you’re planning on moving out of your house or apartment in the next few months or even years, your hard work will be protected as you can usually easily move an indoor greenhouse to your new place
- You don’t need a yard, balcony or patio to enjoy fresh homegrown vegetables. Maybe you do have outside space but the climate in your region is not ideal for growing plants or the amount of sunshine in your yard is too low to benefit from a greenhouse. Enter the indoor greenhouse…
- Your crops are well protected. Your indoor greenhouse won’t suffer from outside elements, such as rain, wind and snow.
- It’s easier to monitor the temperature and conditions in your greenhouse when it’s so close to you.
Where should you place your indoor greenhouse?
Ideally, your greenhouse is placed in a sunny spot, so your plants can benefit from direct sunlight. If that’s not an option for you, you can add lighting to your greenhouse. Take into account though that natural light is always better for plants to grow than artificial light, so ideally you will at least go for a combination of both and won’t completely rely on the added lighting.
Which crops should you plant?
This strongly depends on how much room you have in your indoor greenhouse. If you only have a mini greenhouse, you should probably start with growing beautiful fresh herbs to spice up your food. If you have a big greenhouse, you can even grow a lemon tree. We’ll give you some examples of herbs, vegetables and fruits that will grow indoors!
Most herbs and spices:
- Mint (be careful as this plant tends to grow quickly and might smother your other plants)
Lots of vegetables are suited for indoor growing:
- Hot peppers
What about some homegrown fruit? Try growing these fruits inside:
Other tips to enjoy your indoor greenhouse to the fullest
As your plants won’t benefit from natural soil, it’s important to make sure that the soil you use has plenty of nutrients. Especially when your plants have just started growing it’s a good idea to use extra fertilizer about once a month.
The temperature in your greenhouse should be around 70-75 degrees Fahrenheit. The easiest way to make sure the temperature doesn’t get too high is by placing a thermometer inside your greenhouse. When temperature gets too high you can either move your greenhouse away from the sun for a little while or open up the top or sides to let some air in.
Make sure you water your plants sufficiently, as plants need both sun and water to grow. Depending on which crop you are growing, check how much water it needs and pay attention to how dry the soil is. During summer your plants might need more water when your house is warmer, so check the greenhouse temperature to give your plants the best chance of survival!
Best mini indoor greenhouses
|IKEA Indoor/Outdoor Mini Portable Greenhouse||Check price|
|LordBee Garden Portable Wooden Greenhouse Indoor/Outdoor||Check price|
|Seven Colors House Reinforced Portable Mini Greenhouse Indoor/Outdoor||Check price|
Best indoor greenhouses
|Home-Complete Walk-In Portable Greenhouse for Indoor/Outdoor||Check price|
|Worth 4 Tier Mini Portable Greenhouse Extra Wide for Indoor/Outdoor use - 63" x 40" x 19''||Check price|