You may think you need a big yard, balcony, or patio to enjoy the pleasure of homegrown plants and vegetables. Well, think again! Thanks to an indoor greenhouse, you can still grow plants, vegetables, and flowers within the confines of your home or even bedroom. We’ve selected the 5 best indoor greenhouses money can buy. Read on.
Why an indoor greenhouse?
Indoor greenhouses offer you loads of benefits and you’ll find there’s a suitable option for everyone. Whether you’re going for a miniature greenhouse to start growing herbs in your apartment or you want a full-blown model to grow vegetables and flowers, we’ll help you find exactly what you need!
The benefits of an indoor greenhouse:
- It’s easy to move. When you’re planning on moving out of your house or apartment in the next few months or even years, your hard work will be protected as it’s easy to move an indoor greenhouse to your new place.
- You don’t need a yard, balcony or patio to enjoy fresh homegrown vegetables. Maybe you do have outside space but the climate in your region is not ideal for growing plants or the amount of sunshine in your yard is too low to benefit from a greenhouse. Enter the indoor greenhouse…
- Your crops are well protected. When you buy an indoor greenhouse, your herbs and veggies won’t suffer from outside elements, such as rain, wind, and snow.
- It’s easier to monitor the temperature and conditions in your greenhouse when it’s so close to you.
Where should you place your indoor greenhouse?
Ideally, your greenhouse is placed in a sunny spot, so your plants can benefit from direct sunlight. If that’s not an option for you, you can add lighting to your greenhouse. Take into account though that natural light is always better for plants to grow than artificial light, so ideally you will at least go for a combination of both and won’t completely rely on the added lighting.
Which crops should you plant indoor?
This strongly depends on how much room you have in your indoor greenhouse. If you only have a mini greenhouse, you should probably start with growing some beautiful fresh herbs to spice up your food. If you have a big greenhouse, you can even grow a lemon tree. We’ll give you some examples of herbs, vegetables, and fruits that will grow indoors!
Herbs and spices:
- Mint (be careful as this plant tends to grow quickly and might smother your other plants)
Lots of vegetables are suited for indoor growing:
- Hot peppers
What about some homegrown fruit?
Try growing these fruits inside:
Other tips to enjoy your indoor greenhouse to the fullest
As your plants won’t benefit from natural soil, it’s important to make sure that the soil you use has plenty of nutrients. Especially when your plants have just started growing it’s a good idea to use extra fertilizer about once a month.
The temperature in your greenhouse should be around 70-75 degrees Fahrenheit. The easiest way to make sure the temperature doesn’t get too high is by placing a thermometer inside your greenhouse. When the temperature gets too high you can either move your greenhouse away from the sun for a little while or open up the top or sides to let some air in.
Make sure you water your plants sufficiently, as plants need both sun and water to grow. Depending on which crop you are growing, check how much water it needs and pay attention to how dry the soil is. During summer your plants might need more water when your house is warmer, so check the greenhouse temperature to give your plants the best chance of survival!
Best mini indoor greenhouses
- This refurbished product is tested and certified to look and work like new. The refurbishing process includes functionality testing, basic cleaning, inspection, and repackaging. The product ships with all relevant accessories, and may arrive in a generic box
- MODERATE SIZED GREENHOUSE - 35.4"x70.8"x39" (LxWxH). Sufficient space for your plant pots & seed beds.
- PORTABLE & EASY TO ASSEMBLE - Weight 11lbs,light and easy to assemble. There is no difficulty setting it up. Suitable for indoor & outdoor use.
- HIGH QUALITY - Sturdy powder-coated steel frame and removable transparent UV resistant PVC film gives excellent ageing resistance and weatherability. Excellent light penetration rate ensures adequate sunlight and heat preservation. It will considerably extend your planting time.
Best indoor greenhouses
- 8 DURABLE SHELVES- The 8 sturdy shelves provide plenty of room for trays, pots, or planters of anything you want to grow. It’s a convenient option for any gardener!
- INDOOR OUTDOOR- This versatile greenhouse is ideal for both indoor and outdoor use; keep it on your backyard patio, deck, or in the basement or garage! The clear PVC cover helps protect seedlings from frost or pests for an ideal growing environment.
- EASY ASSEMBLY- With no tools required, the greenhouse is easy to assemble! Simply follow the included instructions and connect the rods. Rope and anchors are included for stability, and each shelf comes with zip ties to ensure they can't be tipped over.
- 🌵EXTRA WIDE SPACE - 1.5 times Wider than other regular outdoor and indoor greenhouses. The nique design of the mini greenhouses combines solid build with usability.The 4-Tier Heavy-Duty green houses for indoor and outdoor is an essential tool for protectig tender plants, germination and rooting cuttings. You can watch plants grow to their full potential in this greenhouse plastic, all inside this space.
- 🌵PORTABLE AND STURDY - The greenhouse is Light weight and easy to assemble with no tools are required.This indoor and outdoor greenhouse is strong enough to hold seed trays, pots and plants growth light, that will make this product last through the seasons.Product dimensions - 63'' H x 40'' W x 20'' D.
- 🌵ZIPPERED PVC COVER - Each mini greenhouse outdoor and indoor grow stand comes with a UV protected, clear, vinyl cover which holds in humidity reducing watering needs. Easy access and ventilation of the portable greenhouses for outdoors and indoors is provided by the zippered door panel in the covering.