Are you on the hunt for a new hobby? If so, you’re not alone. We saw the pandemic revive hobbies, and now, we fill our time with reading, baking, cooking, gardening, meditation, and writing. Of the 60 percent of Americans that picked up a new hobby over the past two years, 30 percent selected gardening as their go-to. If you’re intrigued by this prospect but need help getting started, consider a hobby greenhouse kit to kick off the process.
Why buy a hobby greenhouse kit?
A greenhouse kit provides numerous benefits to a beginner gardener. Here are a few to keep in mind if you’re on the fence about whether to purchase this kit to help you get started with your new hobby.
- A greenhouse kit is easy. You’ll receive a detailed plan and all the parts in a single delivery.
- A greenhouse kit is inexpensive. Compared to having a company install a greenhouse on your behalf, a hobby greenhouse kit is an inexpensive alternative. The kit contains the tools and equipment you need, including an instruction manual and customer support.
- A greenhouse kit allows you to grow crops in all seasons and conditions. The benefit of using a greenhouse is that you’ll have climate control in all seasons. If you live in an area that experiences various weather conditions, you can feel confident in your crops’ ability to survive. Additionally, greenhouses help to ward off pests and diseases.
Consideration before purchasing a hobby greenhouse kit
Greenhouse kits come in a variety of styles, sizes, and prices. Before you purchase a hobby greenhouse kit, consider these questions as they’ll help you narrow down the best option for you.
Which material do you want your greenhouse to be constructed of?
Hobby greenhouse kits come in a variety of materials, including glass, plastic, and polycarbonate. Both plastic and polycarbonate are easy to set up and budget-friendly options. This makes them the most common choices. However, if you want to invest in a more aesthetically pleasing greenhouse kit, then glass might be the way to go. They’re not only beautiful, but they’re also highly durable.
What size greenhouse do you have space for?
The recommended size for anyone starting a hobby greenhouse is 6’x8’. However, this is not the only size. They range from 4’x4’ to 8’x24’. Your decision may be influenced by how much space you have available in your backyard.
How much are you willing to spend?
The price for a hobby greenhouse will vary. Mini greenhouses (example dimensions 57”L x 57”W x 77”H) cost less than $100. However, a semi-professional model can be priced up to $10,000. The material your greenhouse is made of will also impact the price. If you’re just starting to garden as a hobby, you likely want a greenhouse on the cheaper end.
If you select a less expensive material (plastic or polycarbonate) at 6’x8’, you’re likely to spend in the $400 to $1,500 range.
Are you interested in a lean-to greenhouse kit?
A lean-to greenhouse is a design that utilizes an existing building (typically your house) by using one of its existing walls in its construction. Lean-to greenhouses are a great option when you have a small space or when you want to utilize water or electricity inside your home.
Are there local regulations pertaining to greenhouse kits?
Some municipalities require permits to set up a greenhouse in your backyard. Check with your city, county, or HOA to verify you have permission before getting started.
Types of hobby greenhouse kits
Not all hobby greenhouse kits are created equal. Before we highlight which greenhouse kits you should consider, we’ll break down the different types of kits available in regard to material and style.
Plastic hobby greenhouse kits
When shopping for a DIY greenhouse kit, most people will end up gravitating toward plastic varieties. This option comes in numerous sizes. They also help heat-loving plants to grow because they retain warmth from their sunlight exposure. They can be effective for full sun annuals, easy vegetables, and more.
Lean-to hobby greenhouse kits
As noted above, lean-to greenhouses are ideal for certain uses and backyard layouts. Here’s when you might consider a lean-to hobby greenhouse kit.
- You have a small space
- You want to access water/electricity in your home
- You want to use your house to protect your greenhouse from elements such as wind)
- You want to use the space as a combination greenhouse and sunroom
Glass hobby greenhouse kits
Those that select glass greenhouse kits often do so for a few reasons. First, it’s the prettiest and classiest option. Second, the structure is made out of safety glass, which makes it nearly as sturdy as plastic but heightens its durability. However, be mindful that this type can be expensive, so it’s not the typical go-to for someone just getting started with gardening.
Portable hobby greenhouse kits
A portable greenhouse kit may be your best route if you anticipate needing to relocate it in the future. You’re able to move these structures around depending on seasonal conditions or space allowances.
For example, some people will move their portable greenhouse to a sunnier spot in the spring and winter and seek a cooler spot in the summer. If your area is harsh in the winter, you can move it inside altogether.
Mini hobby greenhouse kits
Mini greenhouse kits are the ideal option for someone with a small balcony or patio that wants to try their hand at gardening as a hobby. Try out this greenhouse and get a feel for whether this hobby is for you. You can always upgrade to a bigger model when you’re more comfortable or have more space available! Mini greenhouses can grow crops like tomatoes and peppers.
Best hobby greenhouses to buy
Here are the best hobby greenhouse kits to buy in every category. This is an easy DIY project that can help you kickstart or extend a gardening hobby.
Best plastic hobby greenhouse
Recommendation: Riverstone Mont greenhouse
This plastic greenhouse kit is a sturdy option with excellent ventilation. The polycarbonate material also protects from water and UV rays. It’s the perfect size for a beginner gardener. It’s available as greenhouse only OR deluxe kit. The latter includes the greenhouse, workbench system, programmable watering system, shade cloth, and greenhouse sink system. It also comes in various sizes depending on what you have room for.
Riverstone Monticello Glass Hobby Greenhouse Kit
With a 4.8 star rating, this is a great starter greenhouse with polycarbonate walls and roof. Extend your growing season with this quick assemble greenhouse that is US made.
Deluxe Kit includes the greenhouse, work bench system, programmable watering system, shade cloth and greenhouse sink system.
Beste lean-to hobby greenhouse
Recommendation: Palram Canopia Hybrid 4’x8′ Lean-to Hobby Greenhouse
This greenhouse is a bit smaller than the general recommendation, but that’s what makes it great for smaller backyards, decks, and patios. The full lean-to hobby greenhouse kit contains an adjustable roof vent, rain gutters, a lockable hinged door with a magnetic catch, an aluminum frame, polycarbonate panels, and a galvanized steel base. Read our full Palram Hybrid review here.
- Virtually unbreakable 4 mm twin-wall polycarbonate roof panels block up to 99.9% of UV rays and diffuse sun light eliminating the risk of plant burn and shade areas
- Crystal clear polycarbonate side panels provide 90% light transmission
- Rust resistant aluminum frame extends 7'-5" from floor to peak
Best glass hobby greenhouse
In the glass hobby greenhouse category, we’ve got a great recommendawtion for you. The Jancro Palmetto is a perfect option if you want to take it up a notch, but still want a beginner option that’s great for hobby gardeners.
- Pre-Fabricated Aluminum & Glass Greenhouse Kit. This is the perfect start for the Hobby Gardener who is ready to step up to the benefits of a Glass and Aluminum Greenhouse
- 1/8" Clear Tempered Safety Glass
- Heavy Gauge Extruded Aluminum Construction (90mph Wind Load, 25lb Snow Load). This Greenhouse is guaranteed to LAST, approved by Structural Engineers across the Country.
Best portable hobby greenhouse
Recommendation: ASTEROUTDOOR 8’x6’ Portable Walk-In Hobby Greenhouse
This instant pop-up greenhouse solution is ready for use right out of the box with no assembly or tools required. The greenhouse is made with a steel frame prepared to weather all seasons as well as protect from the wind, sun, and rain.
- [POP UP GREENHOUSE]:Innovative easy setup technology allows you to setup this pop up greenhouse with ease.Pop up Greenhouse for outdoor is ready for use right out of the box with absolutely no assembly or tools required,so you can get your gardening project started in no time!
- [WALK IN GREENHOUSE]:Enjoy freedom of movement with the spacious walk-in pop up greenhouse. Shelving fits comfortably in 6’x8’of floor space. You have space to work, and your plants have room to grow in all directions,thanks to the portable pop up greenhouse 3-height adjustable legs to provide extra headroom.
- [ZIPPERED DOOR PANEL & WINDOWS]:Maintaining the ideal climate is important, and the zippered door panel can be rolled up and secured in an open position on warm,sunny days for some fresh air inside the pop up greenhouse,or zipped closed on cooler days to keep heat and moisture within the backyard pop up greenhouse for outdoor.The 23.6H"x 57.8W" windows on either side can be opened to increase the air circulation.The roll up door has a 44.9" wide opening, and is 68.5" high.
Best mini hobby greenhouse
Recommendation: Best Choice Products 4-Tier Mini Hobby Greenhouse
A build-it-yourself polypropylene greenhouse with only partial assembly necessary. It was created for year-round use, and it’s weather, water, UV, rot, mildew, rust, and corrosion-resistant! If you just want a small greenhouse until you’re ready for a bigger commitment, this is the best way to dip your toes in. With its open bottom, we recommend keeping it on either a porch or deck.
- EXTRA WIDE DESIGN: A large yet versatile 40in growing space traps humidity while circulating air - perfect for patios, balconies, and more!
- 2 ACCESS OPTIONS: Four zippers allow you to open the top or bottom of the cover while a set of touch fasteners keep the access open during your major gardening projects
- IDEAL GROWING ENVIRONMENT: A PE cover keeps your plants safe from the elements while maintaining a constant humidity that's ideal for growing and germinating seedlings
Grow your interest in gardening by investing in a hobby greenhouse kit! A small greenhouse is a great way for a beginner to have a space of their own to get to know the basics and begin to produce crops.