Never did we expect last year to take such a strange turn. The Corona crisis has made the world a different place. However, it seems more and more people are discovering the joy of homegrown vegetables. A greenhouse will let you take home growing to the next level and enjoy gardening all year long. In this article we’ll discuss the best greenhouse kits to buy this year.
Maybe you’re quite the handy (wo)man and want to build a greenhouse from scratch. If you are an enthusiastic DIY’er, there’s plenty of manuals to find online to start building. If you are like me and prefer to receive a detailed plan and all the parts in one delivery, you’ll find a wide range of greenhouse kits. It will still be cheaper than having a company install the greenhouse for you, but you will need fewer tools and equipment. Delivered to your doorstep, with manuals and customer support you can contact. That’s my kind of DIY.
A special mention goes to the Palram greenhouse kits. You’ll find one in nearly every category underneath. When it comes to budget friendly versus quality, they are the absolute winner in the greenhouse world. A Palram greenhouse kit is affordable, sturdy and we really like the designs. In case you want to research this brand a little more, we have written an entire article on Palram greenhouses.
The perfect greenhouse kit for your needs?
When you’re researching the possibility of placing a greenhouse in your backyard, we realize the number of different styles, sizes and prices can be overwhelming. The perfect greenhouse kit for you will depend on a number of factors:
- Material – Glass or polycarbonate? A plastic or polycarbonate greenhouse is the most common choice. These plastic greenhouses are easily set up and budget-friendly. However, if you want to go for a more luxurious look and are willing to spend a little more, a glass greenhouse kit can be a great investment to brighten up your yard. Glass greenhouses are very durable and come in beautiful designs.
- Size – Oh boy… Where do we even begin? Greenhouse kits come in many sizes, they start as small as 4’x4’ and go all the way up to 8’x24’. The most common hobby size is 6’x8’, if you’re looking for a first-time greenhouse kit, this might be a good starting point! Take a look at our article about greenhouse sizes, to find the perfect size for you.
- Price – A mini greenhouse will cost you less than $100, a semi-professional model can go all the way up to $10.000. In this case, size matters. Glass greenhouses are usually more expensive than plastic or polycarbonate greenhouses. We’ll help you find the best, budget-friendly greenhouse kit of 2022.
- Lean to or not – A lean to greenhouse kit will be installed against one of the outside walls of your house. The perfect solution when you have a smaller yard or want to benefit from the electricity and water inside your house to easily access the greenhouse. Take a look at our lean to article to see the possibilities of this type of greenhouse.
Let’s walk you through the best greenhouse kits of 2022!
Best plastic greenhouse kits
When we say plastic greenhouse kits, we mean greenhouses with polycarbonate panels or greenhouses with plastic covers. The polycarbonate panels are strong, durable and budget-friendly. The plastic cover greenhouses are portable and light, but less weather resistant. These plastic cover greenhouses are a good solution to protect your plants in the summer, but won’t withstand winter conditions. Our favorite greenhouse kits are definitely the polycarbonate greenhouses, they come in many different sizes and shapes!
Best small plastic greenhouse kits
Looking for a small greenhouse kit? It kind of all depends on what a small greenhouse means to you. Like we said, greenhouses come in all sizes, but we have listed our favorite smaller options below. When you buy a small greenhouse kit, make sure you think about where and when you want to use it. The portables are only suited to use outside during spring, summer and maybe fall, but have the benefit they can be placed inside during winter. A 6’x6′ Palram greenhouse is an excellent starters greenhouse and probably my favorite in this category. It’s big enough to allow you to grow a good amount of plants, it’s sturdy enough to survive winter (and even grow some winter vegetables) and I like the classic look. Ready to start growing?
- SUPPORTS PLANT GROWTH: The transparent 0.25" PC panels of this polycarbonate greenhouse allow maximum light transmission while retaining heat for early seed sprouting or protecting plants late in the season.
- ADJUSTABLE ROOF: The adjustable roof of the winter greenhouse can be positioned to different angles for proper ventilation and ensure your plants get all the fresh air they need.
- DURABLE DESIGN: The lightweight aluminum frame, tough-as-nails hardware, and reinforced poles help prevent corrosion, helping the greenhouse with vents last many growing seasons.
- 【Strong Construction】The mini walk-in greenhouse is built with high quality metal frame with powder coating, durable bearing net on each layer is strong enough to hold more seed trays, pots and plants growth. The clear waterproof PE cover protects plants from frost or pests while allowing nourishing sunlight to pass through.
- 【Indoor Outdoor Greenhouse】Waterproof and UV protection, ideal growing environment , can be used indoor and outdoor at all seasons. Perfect for protecting young plants or extending the plant growing season.
- 【Portable & Easy Setup】Overall Dimensions: 57"L x 57"W x 77"H, Perfect Size for Easy Moving to Indoor or Outdoors. Easy to assemble, no tools required. Enjoying a lot of fun of the flowers and plants in your leisure time!
- Virtually unbreakable 4 mm twin-wall polycarbonate panels block up to 99.9% of UV rays and diffuses intense sunlight that can stress plants
- Rust resistant green powder-coated aluminum frame and galvanized steel base
- Features include an adjustable roof vent, built-in rain gutters, hinged door with lockable handle and magnetic catch
Best large plastic greenhouse kits
So… These small plastic greenhouses are nice and all but you’re looking for something a little more spectacular? Take a look at the large greenhouse kits underneath. When you add this much growing space to your backyard, the sky really is the limit. Combine herbs, spices, vegetables and even tropical flowers and turn your greenhouse into a sanctuary. Pro tip for a large greenhouse? Add a little reading corner, a perfect hide away during rainy days!
- TWO PANEL TYPES PROVIDE ULTIMATE BALANCED GROWING CONDITIONS - Virtually unbreakable twin-wall polycarbonate roof panels protect from strong sunlight exposure while crystal-clear polycarbonate wall panels provide over 90% light transmission.
- STURDY THOUGHTFUL CONSTRUCTION WILL LAST A LIFETIME - Panels block harmful UV rays to protect plants from sun overexposure. The sturdy, oxidation resistant powder coated aluminum frame includes a galvanized steel base to add structural stability.
- STEP-BY-STEP DIY INSTRUCTIONS DESIGNED FOR HOMEOWNER INSTALLATION - Easy installation accomplished with sliding panels' assembly system. Galvanized steel base includes designated pre-drilled holes for anchoring (anchors not supplied) for additional stability. Single hinged door can be assembled as either right or left hand door to gardener's preferences.
- 4mm twin wall roof panels block up to 99.9% Of UV rays and clear virtually unbreakable polycarbonate panels providing over 90% light transmission
- Reinforced, double wall & rust resistance aluminum frame
- 95 sq. Feet growing space and of head room
Best lean to greenhouse kits
A lean to greenhouse kit is a greenhouse you build against a wall or another structure. It only has three greenhouse sides and uses your home or garden shed as a fourth wall. The benefit of building a greenhouse up against your house, is that you can easily access water and electricity from your home. Your greenhouse will be more protected from the elements, as your home or shed already protects it from heavy winds.
The most popular lean to greenhouse kit size is 4’x8′, perfect for enough growing space but not too big (and thus affordable). Another, more expensive, option is to build a large lean to greenhouse, that can double as a sun room. You can install a door from your house and enjoy every ray of sunshine a crisp winter day brings you. Combine this sunroom with a growing corner and you’re ready to go!
- Virtually unbreakable 4 mm twin-wall polycarbonate roof panels block up to 99.9% of UV rays and diffuse sun light eliminating the risk of plant burn and shade areas
- Crystal clear polycarbonate side panels provide 90% light transmission
- Rust resistant aluminum frame extends 7'-5" from floor to peak
- THOUGHTFUL ENGINEERING THAT OFFERS YEAR ROUND PROTECTION - High impact polycarbonate panels are naturally immune to 100% of harmful UV rays. Panels allow for 90% light transmission. Reinforced by laser cut and powder coated galvanized steel rods for maximum durability.
- INTELLGENT DESIGN WITH VERSITILITY IN MIND - Hinged wide side door allow for easy access and the freedom to design your own unique space.
- STEP-BY-STEP DIY INSTRUCTIONS DESIGNED FOR HOMEOWNER INSTALLATION - The included DIY assembly kit makes installation a breeze by utilizing a sliding panel assembly system.
Best glass greenhouse kits
While most greenhouses these days are made out of plastic, the original British greenhouses were made out of glass. And to be honest… It’s still the classiest greenhouse option on the market. These Victorian greenhouse kits belong to my absolute favorites, but unfortunately, they do come with a price tag. When you’re looking to add a showpiece to your backyard, that will last you many, many years, these Victorian greenhouse kits are the perfect option for you.
The glass in these kits is safety glass and almost as sturdy as plastic, but it will last you longer. Plastic greenhouses might start to fade over time or the panels can become a little faded. A glass greenhouse is not only beautiful and classy, it’s also durable. What do you think? Can these Victorian kits allure you?
- Greenhouse includes 3" high foundation frame, two roof windows, one window auto opener and one sliding door.
- Included safety glass is 4 mm thick
- Aluminum Profiles are larger, thicker and stronger
- Greenhouse is T-shape with 116 square foot of space.
- Greenhouse comes with one sliding door, two roof vents
- Included safety glass is 4 mm thick
Portable greenhouse kits
Portable greenhouse kits are a budget friendly and compact alternative to glass or plastic greenhouses. Not only can you move them around and find the most sunny spot in spring and a cool spot in summer, you can also take them inside during winter! When we started out in a small apartment in the city, we would use our portable greenhouse kit to grow tomatoes and spices and move it from our balcony to the kitchen. Take a look at our portable greenhouse article if you want to know more!
- LOCKING CASTER WHEELS - The clever design of the rolling cart's wheels allows you to easily move the cart from room to room and also to keep it securely in place by locking the wheels.
- STURDY CONSTRUCTION - With a weight capacity of 88 pounds, this versatile cart can support heavy books, mid-size appliances, and computer accessories.
- COMPACT, TWO-TIER, DESIGN - Double-tier construction offers ample storage space for keeping printer paper, instruction manuals, or reference documents close at hand. This compact desk organizer fits under most office desks for space-saving efficiency.
- Ideal for small backyards or homes where space is an issue; place on a deck, patio, or balcony
- Gives seeds, seedlings, and young plants an early start
- Clear polyethylene cover and roll-up zippered door for easy access
Mini greenhouse kits
Not quite sure if a greenhouse is your thing? Do you just want to brighten up your balcony or patio with a small greenhouse and grow some spicy peppers or yummy tomatoes? A mini greenhouse kit might be just what you’re looking for! A low investment and still the chance to grow fresh vegetables. And who knows, maybe you’ll love it and soon be on the lookout for a bigger model!
- This refurbished product is tested and certified to look and work like new. The refurbishing process includes functionality testing, basic cleaning, inspection, and repackaging. The product ships with all relevant accessories, and may arrive in a generic box
- [Perfect House For Plants]: Mini Greenhouse Provide A Warm And Humid Environment To Help Plants Grow or Seed Breeding.Durable PVC Cover Protect Plants/Flower From Bad Weather, Including Strong Wind, Heavy Rain, Frost And Harmful Insects.
- [Portable Design]: Pop up Greenhouse no Assembly Required,Open it to Use.Stored flat or folded when not in Use.Light weight and Small After folding, Easy to Carry and Store.
- [Perfect Detail Design]: Thickened PVC Cover Has a Longer Service Life.Window with Zipper and Tie,Easy Watering , free Fertilizing, Ventilate or Regulates Temperature. Elastic Steel Hoop,Strong and Sturdy.Fixed method for different scenarios,ground nails or stone.