When you’re looking for your first greenhouse, you are probably wondering what kind of budget you need to be able to give it a real go. Look no further, let us walk you through the different price factors and find the perfect greenhouse for your needs, whether you have a big budget or not.
The price of a greenhouse is determined by many different factors, but the most obvious one is the size. Are you a beginner greenhouse enthusiast or an experienced gardener? Do you have a big yard or do you need to fit your greenhouse on a balcony or patio? Find out more about the right greenhouse size for your needs here and take a look at the many options.
A good choice for a budget greenhouse is 6’x8′, it will give you enough room to plant several vegetables and/or plants but will still provide good value for money. However, if you’re just looking to grow some herbs and spices, you might only need a mini or portable greenhouse.
A second factor that influences your greenhouse budget is the material it’s made of. The three most common materials are glass, polycarbonate and plastic foil (for tunnel greenhouses). Glass or Victorian greenhouses are the most expensive kind of greenhouses, these beautiful structures are a great addition to your yard, but are not the best choice when you’re looking for a lower budget greenhouse.
Tunnel greenhouses are usually very cheap but will not give you the real greenhouse feel and have many limitations. Because of these reasons, the perfect choice for a budget greenhouse is by far the polycarbonate greenhouse. They come in many sizes and forms and are durable, strong and very practical.
If your greenhouse budget is a little higher and you want to invest in a sustainable and beautiful lawn ornament, take a look at the Victorian greenhouses. These traditional, British structures are made out of glass and are very classy.
The last factor that will influence your greenhouse budget, are the accessories. Do you need automatic ventilation and will you be investing in a greenhouse heating system? How will you organize your greenhouse? Will you want to use your greenhouse year round or only during spring and summer? When you’re looking for the best greenhouse experience and fresh veggies all year long, it might be worth your while to take a look at the most useful greenhouse accessories!
We’ll try to give you a good overview of the different price categories and the benefits and downsides of each one.
Best greenhouses under $200
When you are working with budget greenhouses in this price range, you will most likely end up with a mini or portable greenhouse or a tunnel greenhouse. A mini greenhouse is perfect when you have limited space and still want to grow some nice fresh herbs and spices. These greenhouses are suited for beginners that don’t want to invest too much in their first greenhouse.
Take into account that when you really get into it, you might soon outgrow these models. Tunnel greenhouses are not always seen as greenhouses, and mostly give you the opportunity to grow plants under a plastic cover. They are not as stable as plastic or glass greenhouses, and will offer your plants less protection.
- This refurbished product is tested and certified to look and work like new. The refurbishing process includes functionality testing, basic cleaning, inspection, and repackaging. The product ships with all relevant accessories, and may arrive in a generic box
- EXTRA WIDE DESIGN: A large yet versatile 40in growing space traps humidity while circulating air - perfect for patios, balconies, and more!
- 2 ACCESS OPTIONS: Four zippers allow you to open the top or bottom of the cover while a set of touch fasteners keep the access open during your major gardening projects
- IDEAL GROWING ENVIRONMENT: A PE cover keeps your plants safe from the elements while maintaining a constant humidity that's ideal for growing and germinating seedlings
- 【 Warranty】--- One Year Warranty for All Poles, 6 Months Warranty for Cover, Lifetime Replacement for Connectors, as pictured.
- 【Double Zippered Front & Back Doors】--- 2 double zippered front & back doors, give you 2 entrance at the greenhouse, easy to move plants and work, allow to vent at any time. 6 exhaust vents with mesh, keep animal and can vent completely on hot days.
- 【Overlong Cover Design】--- Overlong cover around the greenhouse makes the greenhouse airtight and secure, jury it in soil, or use brick, sandbag or other weights around sides to enhance the stability.
Best greenhouses under $500
When you’re looking for a greenhouse under $500, your options are still a bit limited. Polycarbonate greenhouses will be your best shot, as well as the ‘fancier’ mini greenhouses. Glass greenhouses in this price category will be almost impossible to find (let us know if you do!).
In this price category, most greenhouses have plastic covers, which make them less solid against weather conditions and will give you fewer options to regulate temperature. Still, if you search well, there are some perfect starter greenhouses under $500, mostly 6 ft wide. Here are our absolute favorites.
- Promotes and Maintains High Humidity Levels to Create a Superior Growing Environment
- Protects Your Plants and Extends Your Growing Season
- Sets Up on Soil or Hard Surfaces
- 1-3/8-Inch White Powder Coated Steel Frame
- Fully Enclosed Fitted Clear Cover
- Rip-Stop Greenhouse Cover
- 【Spacious gardening house】- This large greenhouse 6'(L) x 6'(W) with a large surface of 3.24㎡ can accommodate a considerable number of plants, and will be a great solution for protecting your plants from the cold weather.
- 【Durable material】- Made of polycarbonate panels, this solid greenhouse is UV resistant and thermally insulated. It can withstand temperatures from -20 ℃ up to 70 ℃. Sturdy and maintenance-free aluminum frame ensures durability and stability.
- 【Multi-function design】- The gutter system allows effective water drainage and the open roof vent ensures optimal ventilation on hot days. A sliding door makes it easy to get in andd out or close the greenhouse when necessary.
Best greenhouses under $1000
In this category there’s quite a broad range of polycarbonate greenhouses, mostly 6 or 8 ft wide. When you choose your needed width, take into account the room you are willing to make in your yard and the amount of time you will be able to spend there.
- TWO PANEL TYPES PROVIDE ULTIMATE BALANCED GROWING CONDITIONS - Virtually unbreakable twin-wall polycarbonate roof panels protect from strong sunlight exposure while crystal-clear polycarbonate wall panels provide over 90% light transmission.
- STURDY THOUGHTFUL CONSTRUCTION WILL LAST A LIFETIME - Panels block harmful UV rays to protect plants from sun overexposure. The sturdy, oxidation resistant powder coated aluminum frame includes a galvanized steel base to add structural stability.
- STEP-BY-STEP DIY INSTRUCTIONS DESIGNED FOR HOMEOWNER INSTALLATION - Easy installation accomplished with sliding panels' assembly system. Galvanized steel base includes designated pre-drilled holes for anchoring (anchors not supplied) for additional stability. Single hinged door can be assembled as either right or left hand door to gardener's preferences.
- SUPPORTS PLANT GROWTH: The transparent 0.25" PC panels of this polycarbonate greenhouse allow maximum light transmission while retaining heat for early seed sprouting or protecting plants late in the season.
- ADJUSTABLE ROOF: The adjustable roof of the winter greenhouse can be positioned to different angles for proper ventilation and ensure your plants get all the fresh air they need.
- DURABLE DESIGN: The lightweight aluminum frame, tough-as-nails hardware, and reinforced poles help prevent corrosion, helping the greenhouse with vents last many growing seasons.
- THOUGHTFUL ENGINEERING THAT OFFERS YEAR ROUND PROTECTION - Virtually unbreakable crystal clear polycarbonate panels provide over 90% light transmission with 100% protection from harmful UV rays.
- STURDY THOUGHTFUL CONSTRUCTION WILL LAST A LIFETIME - High impact polycarbonate panels, a frame made of powder coated galvanized steel and aluminum work together to create ideal growing conditions. Heavy duty frame will withstand wind up to 55 MPH and heavy snow loads when properly assembled,
- STEP-BY-STEP DIY INSTRUCTIONS DESIGNED FOR HOMEOWNER INSTALLATION - Easy installation using a sliding panel assembly system. All hardware included.
Best greenhouses under $2000
In this category you will find mostly 8 ft wide greenhouses in polycarbonate. So when you’re looking into greenhouses between $1,000 and $2,000, you are mostly in the ‘medium size’ greenhouse category. These greenhouses are big enough to grow a substantial amount of vegetables and are comfortable to move around in. You will also find some special greenhouses (check out the garden igloo below), perfect if you want something different.
- THOUGHTFUL ENGINEERING THAT OFFERS YEAR ROUND PROTECTION - Virtually unbreakable twin-wall 6mm polycarbonate panels provide over 70% light transmission with 100% protection from harmful UV rays.
- STURDY THOUGHTFUL CONSTRUCTION WILL LAST A LIFETIME - High impact polycarbonate panels, a frame made of powder coated galvanized steel and aluminum work together to create ideal growing conditions. Galvanized steel base with designated holes for anchoring (anchors not included) for additional structural stability.
- STEP-BY-STEP DIY INSTRUCTIONS DESIGNED FOR HOMEOWNER INSTALLATION - Easy installation using a sliding panel assembly system.
Best greenhouses over $2000
As you may have noticed, no glass greenhouses have been mentioned in the previous categories so far. As discussed in our greenhousing beginners guide, glass greenhouses are generally more expensive than polycarbonate. That’s why they’re in this pricy category. The larger polycarbonate greenhouses are also available in this category.
If you’re ready to invest in your greenhouse and you want to widen your options and possibilities, this is the category for you. Enrich your yard and enjoy the Victorian style glass greenhouses or choose one of the large polycarbonate options!
- 4mm twin wall roof panels block up to 99.9% Of UV rays and clear virtually unbreakable polycarbonate panels providing over 90% light transmission
- Reinforced, double wall & rust resistance aluminum frame
- 95 sq. Feet growing space and of head room
- Greenhouse includes 3" high foundation frame, two roof windows, one window auto opener and one sliding door.
- Included safety glass is 4 mm thick
- Aluminum Profiles are larger, thicker and stronger
- 4 roof windows with 2 automatic openers and 2 spindles; 2 full-length gutters and downspouts (one each side); UV and GS tested and approved (similar to a UL listing); 1 louver window with automatic opener (solar-powered); 200 sq. ft.; Panels can withstand 80 mph winds and 30 lbs./sq. ft. of snow; Aluminum framework; 4 mm tempered glass; 2 sliding doors; Step-by-step assembly instructions and CD; Anchor stakes provided; 5 in. high foundation frame
- Dimension 10 ft. 2 in. W x 19 ft. 11 in. L x 9 ft. H
- Color: Dark green (RAL 6009m) with electrostatic application
Are you a real handy(wo)man who knows his or her way around the hardware store? Are you looking for a cool DIY challenge? There’s always the possibility to build a greenhouse yourself! Take a look at this greenhouse DIY guide to help you get started!
Didn’t find what you were looking for? Let us know in the comments below!