Have you decided you’re ready to add a greenhouse to your home? Congratulations! We’re sure you will absolutely love the experience. But how to get started? While we have written an entire greenhouse beginners guide, we’ll start you off with some inspiration in this article!
How to make a greenhouse at home?
When you are trying to figure out what kind of greenhouse you want to add to your home, you might be a little overwhelmed with the many choices. Let’s start by what you need to decide for yourself before you can choose a greenhouse kit for you!
- Think about where you want to place your greenhouse. Do you have outside space and a backyard suitable for adding a greenhouse? Are you looking for an indoor or mini greenhouse? Based on where you’ll place your greenhouse, you can decide which type suits you best
- What’s the perfect size for you? A greenhouse is usually a long term investment, especially the larger kinds. Are you looking for a small greenhouse to harbor some herbs and spices or are you the ambitious type and want to grow large tomato or citrus plants? Take a look at our greenhouse size article to help you decide!
- What kind of plants do you want to grow? Plants, vegetables or flowers, they are all good candidates for greenhouse growing. Think about what will make you happiest and use this information in your final decision for a greenhouse.
- What style do you like? When you add a greenhouse to your home, you want to make sure it fits your style and the atmosphere of your house. There are many types of backyard greenhouses, take a look and decide which greenhouse suits your taste!
2. Greenhouse kit or DIY?
The next decision you need to make, is whether you will go for a greenhouse kit or a DIY greenhouse.
Greenhouse kit at home
A greenhouse kit will be delivered to your doorstep with all the parts and instructions on how to put them together. These greenhouses are available in all shapes and sizes and are in our opinion the perfect start to make a greenhouse at home! While the assembly will take some time, it will go a lot faster than building your own greenhouse from scratch. When like us you are not quite the handy(wo)man, a greenhouse kit is a good budget friendly solution. To help you get started, we’ve created an overview of our favorite greenhouse kits.
A DIY greenhouse at home
A DIY greenhouse will require a lot of creativity and patience, but will give you so much freedom! The big advantage of creating your greenhouse from scratch is that you can modify it completely to your taste and wishes. So if you’re not afraid of a challenge and are looking for a project, take a look at this overview of all kinds of greenhouse plans and get building!
3. Get started
Do you feel ready to dive right in, build your greenhouse and start growing? Believe us, trial and error is part of the proces. However, with what we know now, in retrospect we would probably have looked up a little more information concerning growing in a greenhouse. Luckily, that information is easy to find and you can choose the format that suits you best! Underneath we’ll list you some useful links to find more info on how to get started with your first greenhouse at home!
- At Greenhouse Hunt, we’ve already provided you with lots of starters information:
- Maybe you learn better by reading a book? There are many good books on the market, we’ve done the research for you! Take a look at our favorite greenhouse gardening books
- In this day and age, everything has an online course! So for you greenhouse enthusiasts out there, there are many online courses to help you get started. Ready, set, grow!