To optimize the use of your greenhouse space, it’s a good idea to think about how you will decorate your greenhouse beforehand. Depending on the available space, the plants you want to grow and your future greenhouse ambitions, you will want to decorate with shelves or even create a little sunroom corner for you to sit in and read a book.
When you’re shelving your greenhouse, the key is space! Don’t overcrowd your greenhouse by putting too many shelves or plants in so you need to crawl from one side to another. Create a little corner for all your seeds and seedlings, shelves are perfect for those as they can be fixed closely together. However, when your plants will start to grow, you will need more room and might need to move them to wider shelves. Make sure you have an area prepared for your growing vegetables where they receive plenty of sunlight and have room to provide you with their yummie fruits.
Slow is the way to go
While it’s tempting to want to put as many plants and shelves as possible in your greenhouse, we would advise you to take it slow and start with a limited number of plants. After all, you don’t want to come to the conclusion that your greenhouse is too small after only a couple of weeks, nor do you want to have to use an axe to wander from one side to the other. Start slowly with some seedlings, some bigger plants and some shelves. While they’re growing it will become clear to you where you need to add more or less shelves and how much room your plants need.
Greenhouse shelves material
Most greenhouse shelves will be made out of metal as this is a sturdy and practical material and is easy to move. Wood, plastic and wire are also materials that are used to manufacture shelves, but are a lot less common. The main reason you would choose wooden, plastic or wire shelves is aesthetics. We would recommend you to go for the metal shelving, as their durability in humid circumstances is great (they are usually protected from oxidation) and they are easy to move around when your plants start to grow. The height and width of these shelves varies, so make sure to measure your greenhouse beforehand and consider that you need some room above the top shelf to be able to place plants on every level. You don’t want your plants to brush the roof of your greenhouse, as this could get too warm and will harm the leaves.
Another great addition to your decoration is a greenhouse workbench. It will store all your tools for you and will make it much easier to repot your plants without having to spend hours on your knees or hands and feet. Install the workbench close to the entrance of your greenhouse, so you can easily reach it and use it to hold your greenhouse supplies.
Our favourite greenhouse shelves
- 5-shelf shelving unit for your kitchen, office, garage, and more
- Each shelf holds up to 350 pounds (evenly distributed); total max load weight is 1750 pounds
- Wire shelves adjustable in 1-inch increments; no tools required
- Durable steel construction with black-coated chrome finish; adjustable leveling feet
- Measures 36 x 14 x 72 inches (LxWxH)
- Whitmor supreme shelf holds up to 200 pounds per shelf (evenly distributed)
- Durable steel construction
- Leveling feet & grid wire shelves that adjust in 1" increments
- Assembled dimensions: 13.11 x 23.15 x 29.90 inches
- Easy assembly, no tools required
- MULTIFUNCTIONAL BAMBOO RACK: 100% natural bamboo, and sturdy; 9 tiers for toiletries, towels, sundries, decorative things, knick knacks, shoes, books, plants, spice and small appliances
- CUSTOMIZABLE DESIGN: 6 holes in each leg, 8 legs in total. You can assemble them into a 9 tiers linked shelf, or remove the middle shelf to get a 2 separated 3-tier standing shelves. Just enjoy the fun of DIY to assemble more creative racks
- ABUNDANT STORAGE SPACE: 9 tiers in total, you can acquire different storage space according to the different assembly method to meet your various storage need
- THOUGHTFUL WORKMANSHIP: Natural and smooth finish, rounded corners, countersunk screws protect your family from being scratched, especially the children
- PRODUCT DIMENSION: Overall product dimension: 37. 8""L x 35. 4""H x 13""W. Match well with your furniture and add a special condition to your bathroom, living room, balcony, kitchen, etc.